I got past the roughly 40% mark in the 2nd round of Summerworld edits last night. (The first round was entirely on paper; the 2nd is my collected on-paper edits plus cleaning up the draft directly.) I'm actually fairly far ahead of schedule, but I'd like to have the edited manuscript over to my test readers for one last round of look-see by April 15. The absolute drop-dead day for the whole thing to be at the printers is around May 15, since I have to allot two weeks for printing and shipping; that gives me some time to tweak the outer wrap design as well. There was a woodblock print pattern that I wanted to use, but I'm going to have to leave it off since I'm no longer confident it's in the public domain and can be used as-is. (Short version: If you downloaded it from somewhere off the Internet, it's probably not in the public domain.) Fortunately I have a backup plan or three...
Earlier today I finished the first round of edits on Summerworld — correcting typos, grammar, etc., but also making extensive notes for the second draft. That I will begin working on in the coming week, and ideally it should be finished by the end of April.
When I showed my rough first draft to people back in February, I mentioned that it was about 85% of what I was trying to achieve. I'm surprised that I got as close to the mark as I did the first time around, but it's that remaining 15% that's crucially important — that's hammering down all the protruding nails that people can snag their clothing on, or spackling the gashes in the wall through which you can see the studs. But I had amazingly good feedback from my readers, and I took a lot of notes along the way as to how to make that feedback work in the story.
I'll be checking back in with more word about the 2nd draft, which with any luck will be what goes to the printer!
Well, it's finally up and running - the official website for Summerworld, my most recent work of fiction (and a National Novel Writing Month 2006 winner, but that's scarcely the most important thing about it).
The site is in something of a disarray as I type this - there's a FAQ, but it is not feature- or text-complete (yet), and I'm actually still in the process of editing the book itself.
With any luck the book will be "closed" as of May 1st and then sent to the printer's shortly thereafter. My goal is to get everything together for a release party at A-KON 2007, where I'll have copies of the book available for a signing, some bonus merchandise, and will do readings, discussion and all kinds of other fun things.