The short version: Trek was pretty good!
The long version:
- A good deal of attention was paid to emotional things and not simply plot gears, which made quite a bit of difference.
- The overuse of shaky-cam and flarey-lens was annoying.
- The casting was good to outstanding. Simon Pegg could carry a whole movie about Scotty by himself.
- The linkage between "old" and "new" Trek was far better done than I had been prepared to give credit for.
- Most speculation on exiting the theater revolved around whether Paramount would go for a whole new TV franchise or just make more films.
- Surprise cameo for Spock's Mom.